Thursday, March 4, 2010

Missing WMDRMSDK.DLL and/or mfplat.dll

I've been trying to install Windows XP SP3 with a lot of updates slipstreamed into it, using Windows Remote Installation Service (RIS). Around midway, I got a message saying:
"This application has failed to start because WMDRMSDK.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may solve this problem."
I searched the net for some answers and followed some steps to fix this, but also then I got the following:
" The procedure entry point MFPlatformStartup could not be found in the dynamic link library MFPlat.dll."
Those messages can also happend if you install from CD. These files are needed by Windows Media Player. God do I hate this piece of software...

I've been able to completely fix the problem without doing some steps I've read. It's very simple. Just follow these simple steps:
  1. get a copy of WMDRMSDK.DLL and MFPlat.dll (found in c:\windows\system32) from a working and up to date Windows XP installation. Home or Pro will do. (Some people have had trouble with files taken from download-the-dll-for-free sites)
  2. copy these two files directly in the i386 folder of the installation source
  3. Edit the TXTSETUP.SIF file in the i386 folder of the installation source and put the following text in the corresponding section:

    [SourceDisksFiles]
    wmdrmsdk.dll = 100,,,,,,,2,0,0
    mfplat.dll = 100,,,,,,,2,0,0
That's it. No need to touch the dosnet.sif file. I got rid of the errors with this. Hope this helps some people!

No comments: