Monday, March 8, 2010

BOOTP vs PXE

I've been playing with the PXE concept in the past two weeks. For work that is, using MS Server 2k3's DHCP, Active Directory, DNS, WDS and RIS (man there are just too many acronyms in that field, it's just insane. I could've named a couple of others but let's just stop here).

Now I'm trying to build that kind of system here, using my own and trusty Debian server. So I thought I could start by installing a PXE Daemon but then I wondered, what about BOOTP? pxe daemon package in Synaptics Package Manager says I NEEDED a PXE daemon but... After a while on google, it's pretty much the only place it says that. In fact I only need a TFTP server in addition to what I already have.

So here's the answer: whether I need a PXE daemon or not depends on which PXE boot loader I'm using. Some need it, some don't. The syslinux ones don't need it. Since I plan on using PXELinux, that pretty much sums it up. I've even read comments about people who never heard of PXE daemons.

So unless you KNOW you REQUIRE a PXE Daemon, just don't bother.

BOOTP seems to be an outdated DHCP.

Oh and from what I've gathered overall, PXE is just a concept. What actually exist are a DHCP server and a TFTP server. You most likely know what a DHCP server and a FTP server are so you already know pretty much everyting.

In short, your old machine boots using its NIC and then gets info from the DHCP which contains where the TFTP server is and what is the file to download from the TFTP server. Your machine then downloads the file and then boots it.

Simple eh? Now I wonder why MS and other sites make it so complex.

Now I'm gone checking if I was right :P

No comments: